Thursday, March 02, 2006

Polyphasic Sleeping - Day 3

In my previous post, I talked about beginning an attempt to become a polyphasic sleeper. I'm now on day 3 (roughly 64 hours since my last full night of sleep), sleeping only three hours per planetary revolution, and I don't feel that bad. Perhaps a bit more brain-dead than day 2, but still quite functional.

Today, I swapped circuit boards between a couple of hard drives (this required going to Sears and picking up an appropriate T8 torx screwdriver) and got one hard drive functioning, tested a failed hard disk and recertified it, studied an Adobe Photoshop book, took a walk, disassembled and tested a laptop battery pack (risky - may explode if shorted), retouched and file-size optimized a bunch of images and then converted them into a PDF document, read through a new 54-page webcomic, and posted a new piece of art to my deviantART account, among other things.

I still have to update my website, but I think that will have to wait for "tomorrow" (next waking period, from 12:30AM-4:00AM). It's about 11:50PM at the moment, so I'll be going to sleep at 12AM, and up again at, you guessed it, 12:30AM. It's a good thing I have dual alarms on my watch - I've been using a 30 minute countdown timer, backed up by an alarm set to go off at a specific time about 2 minutes after the countdown timer, and several times I've only been raised by the second alarm going off.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, Wireball! When you master this, it should be a real advantage. I and several friends have various types of non-typical sleeping patterns, so I appreciate what you're doing.

Go for it!

John H. - feenix95

March 03, 2006 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here i am up at 5:30am i haven't had any sleep for almost a day and a half.
Seems to be a very appropriate time to read this as i know exactly how you feel. This is a very interesting idea i might half to give this a try. Though I will wait to see how you make it first. Good luck to you wireball :).

March 06, 2006 2:33 AM  
Blogger Wireball said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear of your lack of sleep! Inadvertant or advertant? You might want to get a good night's sleep before trying the polyphasic schedule - I suspect it will make it easier to adjust.

Well, I haven't had any urges to kill, though I wonder why I keep waking up halfway to the front door with this bread knife in my hand... no, just kidding, I haven't had any adverse mental effects.

Also check out Steve Pavlina's experience w/ polyphasic sleep, if you like - his daily sleep logs are more detailed than mine, and he's been going on polyphasic sleep successfully for over 100 days now.

March 07, 2006 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just insomnia i guess. When i finally did get to sleep i got over 12 hours. O_o I felt like crap when i got up. Im sure you know what i mean. Now im back to a more normal sleep pattern. Im getting ~8 hours a night. Which is the minimum for me to function properly. I really don't think polyphasic sleep would be right for me with my chaotic schedule.

March 09, 2006 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home